Me thinks I see a copycat?
I’m a TV junkie. I was perusing the internets reading up on the fall season premieres when I stumbled across a new SoMe* app that promotes “"Connect with your friends around the shows you love". It’s called IntoNow:
Now, anyone that follows me around the SoMe circles knows I’m a big GetGlue fan:
After I read more about this IntoNow app, I’m getting an oh-so familiar feeling. As if I’ve seen or used something verrrrrrrry similar.
Here is the IntoNow description from iTunes:
Get more from TV! IntoNow is the best way to connect with your friends around the shows you love.
"I was amazed to the point where I was dumbfounded" — MG Siegler at TechCrunch
Great reviews from TechCrunch, Mashable, Reuters, All Things D, VentureBeat and many more…
IntoNow makes engaging with your favorite TV shows easy, social, and fun. Just tap the green button when your favorite show is on and IntoNow will identify the show and episode; provide all data and links associated with it; and help you share on Facebook and Twitter. IntoNow also helps you see which shows you have in common with your friends — including whether they’ve seen the latest episode — and alerts you whenever you and a friend are watching the same show at the same time. Use it to discover new shows, discuss your favorites with your friends, and learn more about whatever you’re into now!
– Identify live TV, or anything that’s run on TV in the last five years, from your television, computer or mobile device.
– Get full episode and cast information, as well as info on future airings.
– Receive notifications when your friends are watching the same episode or show.
– Comment on what your friends are watching in the app, or on Facebook and Twitter.
– One-click access to IMDb, Netflix, and iTunes so you can learn more or start watching right away.
– Add new friends using Facebook, Twitter, your address book, or “search by name.”
Aaaaaaand.. now check out the description of GetGlue on iTunes: (by the way GetGlue has been around since 2009)
GetGlue is a fun social network for entertainment. Check-in to what you are watching, reading and listening to. Connect with friends, discover new favorites, and unlock FREE stickers and discounts.
“The single most useful social networking tool I’ve encountered” – Wired
Positively reviewed by top press, including: L.A. Times, NY Post, Mashable, Gizmodo, and many more!
* Check-in to your favorite TV shows, movies, music, and more
* Earn rewards from over 40 major media companies
* See what your friends are currently watching, reading, or listening to
* Rate things to get awesome recommendations based on things you like
* Get filtered new releases and old favorites picked just for you
* Share the TV shows, movies, and music you like
Join more than 1.5 million other users who are sharing 9 million check-ins per month.
Watch a 60-second overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0tkjkSO20
Earn rewards from our current partners, including: 20th Century FOX, A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery, Disney, Dreamworks, ESPN, FOX, Food Network, HBO, HGTV, MSNBC, MTV, NBC, PBS, Science Channel, Showtime, Sony Pictures, SPEED, Starz, SyFy, TBS, TLC, TNT, Travel Channel, truTV, USA, Universal Pictures, and other major entertainment companies.
If that wasn’t strangely odd enough check out the screenshots of the two apps:
Me thinks there is a copycat?
* SoMe = Social Media